Author Topic: Huntercoin alternative gameplay  (Read 478 times)

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Huntercoin alternative gameplay
« on: June 08, 2017, 07:06:52 PM »
I think the "human mining" capability should not be proportional to the time invested (or even steeper than that), so in this prototype, game rules have been changed in order to make the difference between players who can only play for a few minutes per day, and players who can invest unlimited time, as small as possible.

As side effects:

- it becomes impossible to use bots (they would need to think strategically)
- it would also be much more difficult for POW miners to gain an advantage in the game (by
  not processing transactions and discarding their own blocks selectively)
- and the number of transaction generated by players is very small

Features:

- Character levels, and leveled chars are near immortal.
- Character equipment, weapons and items that determine combat abilities.
- Smart monsters.
- Safe zones with teleporters connecting them.
  NPC merchants to buy items from.
  (coins earned by these NPC can later be re-used for a fully decentralised and automated bounty system)
- Low risk/high reward for players. Cheating death is cheap, but
  monsters can drop potentially thousands of coins if killed.
- Universal network-wide AI to micromanage all actions on the battlefield.
- Coins have a purpose in-game, and players have an incentive to accumulate them.
- New player, after they managed to survive a few days, can command the most powerful monsters
  (they have a "longest time not bother me, first serve" policy)
- Combat is resolved only determined by character position and abilities, not by transactions in the block immediately before the combat happens

Testnet-in-a-box with source:
hunttest_20170607.zip, 24.2 MB
https://mega.nz/#!CA5iRSCQ!omJpbIAt5kow59IXhpy9wpL-cJOxE2o6qcEgzK8J_IQ

Some pics from older version (layout is now a bit different)

Starting new hunter:

Center with NPCs:

It takes some time for the character  (i.e. 50 blocks on this testnet, 25 blocks would give a 50% chance) to memorize the coordinates, this is to balance the disadvantage of sending your move before knowing other player's moves. In latest version hunters can wait inside the safe zone.

The game's nature changes depending of whether 1 round is 200 blocks (like in the testnet) or 2000 blocks. Normal players wouldn't be able to do 1 move every 200 minutes, day and night, so while this kills the bots, domination by human player groups is still possible.

However, the average player would have no problems to input 1 move per 30h forever if they can choose the exact time freely.

kulakowka

• View Profile
Re: Huntercoin alternative gameplay
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:06:01 PM »
Great idea! I wanted to test, but it shows an error. What can be wrong?

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Huntercoin alternative gameplay
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:39:26 PM »
Great idea! I wanted to test, but it shows an error. What can be wrong?

I could reproduce this error by starting "huntercoin-qt.exe" directly instead of the shortcuts "huntercoin-qt.exe - 1" and "huntercoin-qt.exe - 2 - scrypt".

It would then use the normal Windows data folder for Huntercoin "C:\User\...\AppData\Roaming\Huntercoin". The error happens if there is already a blockchain (mainnet, probably) that is not compatible with this testnet-in-a-box.