Author Topic: synchronization stopped  (Read 6466 times)

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: synchronization stopped
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »
tbh, i've not lost sync while running normally
only on the initial sync .. (needed restart then continues) -- needs fixing
i've had my qt running for a few days now.. (on windows)
anyone else getting it??

probably just co-incidence that you are both in Russia?

Reaper are you using windows as well?

never had an issue with the daemon on linux

edit: think reaper is in usa sorry
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:05:27 PM by Snailbrain »

BGB

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 06:45:35 PM »
I do lose synch that I have associated with two causes:

1) Backup running on .dat files (or High disk I/O on same drives as HUC)

2) Intermittent Internet Loss - QT usually does recover, but I would guess about 10% of the time it does not and requires a restart.

reaper

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 07:03:01 PM »
Yes i'm in the u.s. Using window 7. HUC Versoin 1.2
It might have been Internet issue, everything seems fine today.

Fixed:
  It was on my end. Few weeks back a thunderstorm took out my power supply and Ethernet Lan Adapter. When I replaced power supply wi-fi adapter took over. Now that i'm off wi-fi, should be
  fixed. Hopefully :)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:32:50 PM by reaper »

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 05:38:20 PM »
i just experienced this issue with the qt on windows.

Qt running for a few hours then stopped sync, allows RPC, nothing in log to indicate a problem.

I know for sure the linux client doesn't have this issue.

Anyone else had to restart the client?

If anyone is able to fix - there is 5k bounty for it - i'll put up in the bounty section later

fsb4000

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »

Qt running for a few hours then stopped sync, allows RPC, nothing in log to indicate a problem.

If anyone is able to fix - there is 5k bounty for it - i'll put up in the bounty section later
Did you experience it with your version or with my version?

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 06:48:53 PM »

Did you experience it with your version or with my version?

official version

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 10:38:25 PM »
no one else?

fsb4000

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 10:55:53 PM »
I constant lose sync, but after these two commits(https://github.com/fsb4000/huntercoin/commit/cc55a585b166dbe2f20bd652107f306973252ae0 and https://github.com/fsb4000/huntercoin/commit/183ca0de6928cd6cdb32bee058c4b64b1ac2a1c8 ) the client  no longer lose sync.

Although it would be nice to find someone else with this problem and to check whether these commits help him or not...

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 11:07:47 PM »
I constant lose sync, but after these two commits(https://github.com/fsb4000/huntercoin/commit/cc55a585b166dbe2f20bd652107f306973252ae0 and https://github.com/fsb4000/huntercoin/commit/183ca0de6928cd6cdb32bee058c4b64b1ac2a1c8 ) the client  no longer lose sync.

Although it would be nice to find someone else with this problem and to check whether these commits help him or not...

thanks mate,
did you modify it since last time i tried?

fsb4000

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 07:42:01 AM »
I did not add anything related to synchronization but I fulfilled domob1812's suggestions
Quote from:  domob1812
Also, without having reviewed the code in full, I have at least some suggestions right now:

1) The lsn_reset patch seems fine, but I would prefer to have lsn_reset on by default. Otherwise people may get problems when they try to backup / restore / transfer their data folder and have no idea why. If they are aware of the possible implications, then they can turn it off for themselves.

2) Please do not include the hardcoded nodes. I don't think that's a good idea (do we have more info about the nodes, like their capacity, who runs them, how they are secured). We have IRC discovery for that, and may add DNS seeds in the future.

3) Please do not introduce checkpoints. It was a deliberate decision not to have them (not by me, but it was made). Also, you don't even mention that in your forum post. That's a very good demonstration of why I suggest to have multiple pull requests for multiple things, and not just a generic "several patches".
Ok, I see. In that case, if IRC is down sometimes (wasn't aware of that), I think adding the nodes makes sense. Please just use a macro like

#define CONVERT_IP4(a, b, c, d) \
(((a) << 24) + ((b) << 16) + ((c) << 8) + (d))

instead of the manual computation.

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 02:19:07 PM »
I did not add anything related to synchronization but I fulfilled domob1812's suggestions
Also, without having reviewed the code in full, I have at least some suggestions right now:

1) The lsn_reset patch seems fine, but I would prefer to have lsn_reset on by default. Otherwise people may get problems when they try to backup / restore / transfer their data folder and have no idea why. If they are aware of the possible implications, then they can turn it off for themselves.

2) Please do not include the hardcoded nodes. I don't think that's a good idea (do we have more info about the nodes, like their capacity, who runs them, how they are secured). We have IRC discovery for that, and may add DNS seeds in the future.

3) Please do not introduce checkpoints. It was a deliberate decision not to have them (not by me, but it was made). Also, you don't even mention that in your forum post. That's a very good demonstration of why I suggest to have multiple pull requests for multiple things, and not just a generic "several patches".
Ok, I see. In that case, if IRC is down sometimes (wasn't aware of that), I think adding the nodes makes sense. Please just use a macro like

#define CONVERT_IP4(a, b, c, d) \
(((a) << 24) + ((b) << 16) + ((c) << 8) + (d))

instead of the manual computation.

i've compiled latest version successfully, i will try a full sync soon

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »
i have not tested yet, because i have had my qt running for  3 days ish without issue.

I will try next time it stops (if it does)..

it did stop on another PC with mechanic hard drive though, maybe that was the problem (maybe too much access cause problem like bgb said) -- i'm using SSD on my main pc atm.

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 07:32:14 PM »
had a little play.. shutdown is pretty instant - I like.

So basically with the disabling of the "detach database" you need to copy the database folder as well if you want to transfer the chain to another datadir?

but - with domobs chain @ chain.huntercoin.org , if he leaves the feature enabled with -detachdb=1 , then we can still download and use his chain?

--

I will send 2500 hucs .. i did promise 5k to fix the sync issue, but i tbh, haven't had an issue with the official one yet.. i will continue to use your version for the next few days to see if i have the problem.

send address

fsb4000

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 08:44:45 AM »
had a little play.. shutdown is pretty instant - I like.

So basically with the disabling of the "detach database" you need to copy the database folder as well if you want to transfer the chain to another datadir?

but - with domobs chain @ chain.huntercoin.org , if he leaves the feature enabled with -detachdb=1 , then we can still download and use his chain?

--

I will send 2500 hucs .. i did promise 5k to fix the sync issue, but i tbh, haven't had an issue with the official one yet.. i will continue to use your version for the next few days to see if i have the problem.

send address
Yes, if domob will use -detachdb=1 we can download and use his chain.
Actually after that https://github.com/fsb4000/huntercoin/commit/1ea795dd5055c331793686a6f155c6a5c2ebb2b5
Code: [Select]
-detachdb=1 is default.
We should use -detachdb=0 if we want fast shutdown for huntercoind.

Thank you very much, 2500 huc is nice reward.
My HUC: HD3wGK3F76BGNw4qZdsQ49JXVsMXAHa7mE

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2015, 10:09:29 PM »
seems another user is having trouble on windows syncing from scratch, but onto a usb external drive.

It just stops doing anything and requires restarting.. this issue is not happening on linux at all.

--

there's more bounty if anyone can fix/diagnose what's happening.
Debug.log just stops (no errors). client does not crash or freeze.

seems ok once caught up