Author Topic: Allow Standard Names in Huntercoin  (Read 1280 times)

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
Allow Standard Names in Huntercoin
« on: March 18, 2016, 01:01:21 PM »
One of the reasons for not allowing normal names like in namecoin was so huntercoin wasn't used like namecoin.
I wrote this in the original chronokings thread in 2013

my original idea was based on a fork of namecoin using names as characters, and their values as moves, positions are calculated (gamestate).

Now, thinking about this more (due to wiggi's gems), you can have an entirely new gameworld as long as not printing huntercoins and it doesn't even need to be in the daemon.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=435170.msg14226270#msg14226270

if we allow normal names which still cost 200 HUCs (or 1000), then people can have their own gamestates/worlds in their own modified client or external game. - better, some sort of framework that can allow people to easily input their own "game-rules/law/gamestate-calculator" into the actual client. I don't think this would be difficult to do - maybe even wiggi could do it?
An extra tab (game2) in the QT for example, with it's own balance/wallet.

The only hardfork required for it would be "allowing none huntercoin names", so those names don't appear in the huntercoin world and act just like a namecoin name. by simply adding a new value like "hucworld=0" when you create the character.

This way it's easy(ier) for people to build on huntercoin to make their own games and currencies? (i.e. like Wiggis Gems, except entirely new game worlds as well not just in huntercoin map)..

It allows people to use huntercoin as a p2p-game-engine and create their own cryptocurrencies.

btw, another way of looking at Wiggis Gems if it's confusing is just this:
Imagine you are collecting HUCs in game but you don't bank them... you still have those coins, the only difference is that you can get them stolen or a disaster may come.
In an alternate gamestate in which hucs are not involved (except to create your character), there can be a virtual bank to bank your "gold pieces" they just woudln't be in your normal "crypto wallet", they go in your virtual calculated wallet which is also calculated just like hucs gamestate..
it's still cryptographically safe as you hold the key to the character who owns them..
You can still die in the alternative gamestate, but your 1000 huc character still exists in your huc wallet.. in the alternate gamestate you would probably just start at the begining of the map again, or worse, the gamestate would say that you can't enter the game again.. so you'd be blanked out and not involved any anyone elses calculations...

sounds confusing but it's simple, a bit like a matrix in a matrix. (or cryptocoins on top of bitcoin)

what are the obstacles
fees increase?
special "names" cost more?
did i a miss a fatal flaw..

p.s. you could do it with other cryptocoins and all the new application cryptos as well (maybe in bitcoin - but afair the values are limited in size), .. - but we can evolve huntercoin around this feature, set fees, prune what we want etc...
that's a point - pruning would be a problem as you'd need the entire chain since your alternate-gamestate began, to calculate your funds? (although you don't actually need to make a new currency for another game, if it's fun - it's advantage is that it's p2p game).

if it's viable, credits go to wiggi for opening minds..

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:26:50 PM by Snailbrain »

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Allow Standard Names in Huntercoin
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 05:55:36 PM »

these names would be like names of dead hunters, only unique. You could change the value of that name but how would this be better
than sending tx from the dead hunter's old address to itself, encoding data somehow. Huntercoin even has an old fashioned tx message.

Whats wrong with allowing living hunters that can communicate with the game normally to temporarily opt out of p2p and coin harvesting
(and disaster) and perhaps venture beyond the 502*502 map?

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 06:17:27 PM »

these names would be like names of dead hunters, only unique. You could change the value of that name but how would this be better
than sending tx from the dead hunter's old address to itself, encoding data somehow. Huntercoin even has an old fashioned tx message.

Whats wrong with allowing living hunters that can communicate with the game normally to temporarily opt out of p2p and coin harvesting
(and disaster) and perhaps venture beyond the 502*502 map?

i may not be understand you properly-
but i think yes could do that as well..
I as just thinking - is it not simple to just allow names to be created as in namecoin (names that don't exist/appear in the huntercoin world). Then you can have as many alternate gamestates as you want and anyone can add them in (code a gamestate). The only difference is you won't be minting "Hucs" in this other alternate universes.
We don't need any complex hardforks or coding.. (except for those who want their own gamestate).

sirwagginston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 04:01:46 AM »
What you're saying is absolutely the direction we need to go in for two reasons:

• We need to be able to have unique reserved names so that we can be pseudonymous and known in the game world without other people being able to impersonate us
  • We need to be able to have multiple parallel game worlds in order to satisfy the needs and varying visions of different developers

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »
any more thoughts on this?