Author Topic: Change Sha256 to something else (and maybe scrypt as well?)  (Read 1299 times)

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
any thoughts?

Mithril Man

• View Profile
    • Mithril Man Web!
Re: Change Sha256 to something else (and maybe scrypt as well?)
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:30:23 PM »
i must admit I've not the knowledge to give advices about this matter, so I just ask some questions:

- what's the meaning of changing algo
- what's the difference between algos
- how huntercoin would benefit in changing algo?
Alternative GUI client for Huntercoin http://www.mithrilman.com
HUC donation: HMSCYGYJ5wo9FiniVU4pXWGUu8E8PSmoHE
BTC donation: 1DKLf1QKAZ5njucq37pZhMRG67qXDP3vPC

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »
- what's the meaning of changing algo

atm Huntercoin uses both sha256 and Scrypt algorithms for miners to mine blocks (and secure the chain).

They are both targeted to 2 minute block times (and are separate). This means the block times should average at 1 minute.

at the time of creation - we had the backing of eligius and f2pool for mining Sha256 blocks (through merged mining) with hope of more.

atm - no one is mining sha256 blocks - so these blocks are not getting mined (causing average block time to be 2mins (when scrypt balances itself)).

Sha256 is mined by ASIC mining hardware which is expensive to buy (although you can buy some cheaper usb sticks)- if all bitcoin pools were merge-mining huntercoin it would probably be ok.
The main issue with what's been happening is only 1 pool has been mining all the blocks - this is not good for coin distribution (unless they were distributing them fairly).. also people worry about the security when just 1 pool is mining all the blocks.

The difficulty is so high for sha256 we'd need someone (or pool) with massive hash power to solve a sha256 block so the difficulty reduces (difficulty gets higher and lower depending on the hashrate so that blocks are 2 minutes apart).

Scrypt is also now predominately ASIC devices.

- what's the difference between algos

There are lots of different algos - some are designed to prevent asic devices from being used, some work best on GPU, some work best on CPU. (bitcoin started out as CPU mining until someone created a gpu miner, then some companies created ASIC devices). Same story with most algos

- how huntercoin would benefit in changing algo?

only from my own opinion -

if we managed to get someone to solve the next block(s) of sha256 to lower the difficulty - i don't think we'll get many people to mine it afterwords. The difficulty may become so low that someone with a decent amount of sha256 hashpower could really rape it in a malicious way (although this could happen no matter what with any algo - just that people have mega sha256 hashpower).

Personally (and i wrote about it in the staff section a bit back) - if we change to an algo that everyone can mine with their GPUs and even CPUs (maybe allow merge mining still and try to give support were possible) then coin distribution may improve and so will people promoting it - maybe.

The mass of people are mining with GPUs and CPUs - they can leave their normal PC mining and have a chance to get some coins.

Their are people with GPU farms and probably CPU farms (botnets, VPS's) but i think it would be unlikely they would put their hash power onto huntercoin unless the value was much higher - unless of course they merged mined it - in which case maybe merged mining isn't the best course of action? (i think a long time ago people were stating that namecoin had such a low value because of merged mining - whether there is truth in it i don't know).

Although I've sold my gpu mining hardware which i was mining ethereum with, i'd mine with CPUs and my gaming GPUs when idle. i think this could help build up huntercoin support,

some algos on here -

https://www.whattomine.com/

Brain dump - not thought about it properly:

we could replace both sha256 and scrypt with different CPU mineable algos (which may eventually become gpu mine-able).
If they are both CPU mineable then it's probably unlikely that a pool would mine both - although 1 person could mine both with their own cpu mining farm but doubt they would bother wasting their time until the value of huc increased - in which case it would be a "win" anyway.
If we used GPU + CPU algos then maybe someone with big GPU hash could simultaneously mine with their CPUs as well, and dominate the mining again - although i think this is unlikely?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:03:43 PM by Snailbrain »

sirwagginston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 05:06:54 PM »
Even though SHA256 is working, again, I can think of scenarios in which we might still want to change the mining algorithm. Clearly, pools can generate massive sell pressure, as the price is still rising. I think that might be especially true when merged mining is a possibility. We may need to adjust if a similar situation emerges.

ebit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »
good,I saw the  Sha256

jwinterm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 11:30:43 PM »
I like the idea of Myriadcoin - to have algos targeted towards all types of hardware; it uses sha and scrypt merge mined for asics, and three algos for GPUs, though one is about to be swapped for CPU targeted algo. I think for huntercoin maybe just swapping out sha for something GPU and CPU mineable (cryptonight perhaps) the mining community could be greatly broadened.

oofish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 07:11:01 AM »
any upadates?

sirwagginston

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 08:05:30 AM »
I think the general consensus is that we want to wait to update the mining algorithm until we're ready to add some new features (like all the 2.0 stuff we've been talking about). Otherwise, we'll be making more hard forks than necessary, which is never great. I remember SnailBrain had some ideas for it he was thinking about... I'm not very up to date on all the algorithm options out there, though. I was just gonna accept what everybody else decides