Author Topic: Teleport discussion  (Read 13429 times)

redbeans2012

Teleport discussion
« on: January 28, 2015, 01:15:12 PM »
Opening this thread to discuss teleport.

Snailbrain has proposed a 1 way teleport.  I think this is a good idea for gamespeed personally and cannot think of much downside.

Discuss any other proposals here.

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Teleport discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:37:47 PM »

Snailbrain has proposed a 1 way teleport.  I think this is a good idea for gamespeed personally and cannot think of much downside.

The destination of the 1 way teleport could even be a bit nearer to the center.

Also 2 safe zones per color, 1 at the teleport destination and 1 in the outer ring near a choke point
would make it possible to play manually for 3-4 hour and then have a break.

redbeans2012

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 03:59:11 PM »
Yes maybe some nearer to the center is a good idea.  I was just brainstorming with Arrows.  What about a return teleport? (again i'm just brainstorming with arrows)

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »
could work -- except looking at that one.. i'd expect the central area to be camped by bot master, preventing anyone from returning from the centre, and also blocking normal side pathways.

maybe needs some slightly random moving teleporter to prevent campers (random thought and not thought properly).

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 01:26:31 AM »

I think closer to the centre is good but not too close together with other colours teleporters.

camping the portal at the other side might not be a big-ish issue, but could be.

There is still the issue of many people on the map just sitting around - like there is at the teleport destination in the screen shot and on the blues side also.

To remove these needs either life expectancy, localised disaster (as per original disaster post or like mithrilman idea with some randomness based on density)... or something else.

Mithril Man

• View Profile
    • Mithril Man Web!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 02:02:01 AM »
i was thinking the same about the destination of the teleport, but for the entrance, i would move it near the closest mine area, to not be too close to spawn area where crown holder would need to go, since the teleport area will be a safe area, it would be quite impossible to bank the crown that way, i'd think a middle way between first pic and last pic would be nice (around 446;449), maybe tomorrow i'll post a map with my TP drawn (i'd like to add one to 310;442 or 273;411)
Alternative GUI client for Huntercoin http://www.mithrilman.com
HUC donation: HMSCYGYJ5wo9FiniVU4pXWGUu8E8PSmoHE
BTC donation: 1DKLf1QKAZ5njucq37pZhMRG67qXDP3vPC

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
i'd expect the central area to be camped by bot master, preventing anyone from returning from the centre, and also blocking normal side pathways.

Exactly, that why the attacker would need some things going for them,

either a chain of safe zones so they can choose when to go through the side pathways, bring in additional hunters, etc.
This is the least cheesy IMO and can make the gameply more strategic because we will (perhaps) see sieges and relief forces.

Or 2 way teleport.

Or additional pathways, nerfing the choke points.

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 02:10:23 PM »
Yes maybe some nearer to the center is a good idea.  I was just brainstorming with Arrows.  What about a return teleport? (again i'm just brainstorming with arrows)

Direct tp from center to near the banking area would mean no coins accumulate at the center. This would take away the incentive for a surprise attack against the center. Basically it should be easy to get near the center and surround it, but medium difficulty (with extra help for human players) to get away.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:17:06 PM by wiggi »

redbeans2012

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »
I understand, like I said I was just brainstorming and hoping to see others brainstorms.  The main brainstorm was just adding the idea of a return teleport somewhere. 

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 06:44:16 PM »
Code example for a simple 1way teleporter. This way it doesn't interfere with pathfinding, you can walk over the "portal" and nothing happens, to teleport you have to stand still on it.

Code: [Select]
void CharacterState::MoveTowardsWaypoint()
{
    if (waypoints.empty())
    {
        if ((coord.x == 5) && (coord.y == 5)) { coord.x = 245; coord.y = 245; }  // yellow base to center

from = coord;
        return;
    }

Works flawlessly, no UI glitches.

Snailbrain

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2015, 07:10:23 PM »
do you think it should go direct to the centre? (i.e. all colours teleporter exit are at the same location?)

what about campers?

domob

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
How do we want it to behave?  My initial assumption was that even walking over it would immediately teleport you.  Maybe like this:  When you are on the teleporter square (no matter what your path is - similarly to picking up coins), you are immediately moved to the destination (or maybe some random position in a neighbourhood of the destination?) and your current path is cleared.  But, of course, it depends on what is desired.
Use your Namecoin-ID as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | HBkxA5QmYSATFoPN1wFk8eBkgwPpY97Mfu

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »
do you think it should go direct to the centre? (i.e. all colours teleporter exit are at the same location?)

what about campers?

The teleporters could be a simplification of the "easy, intermediate, and expert level" model: Instead of 3 player spawns there is only one and hunters choose via tp (16 1way tps in total) where to go.

But yes, the teleporters shouldn't exit all at the same location, better to spread tp exits and farm spots out (in the expert area about 30 squares distance from the center and from each other)

wiggi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »
How do we want it to behave?  My initial assumption was that even walking over it would immediately teleport you.  Maybe like this:  When you are on the teleporter square (no matter what your path is - similarly to picking up coins), you are immediately moved to the destination (or maybe some random position in a neighbourhood of the destination?) and your current path is cleared.  But, of course, it depends on what is desired.

The luxury version would be like Battle for Wesnoth Silver Mages. You set your destination and pathfinding routes you through teleports as needed for the shortest possible path. But this is really not necessary.

Mithril Man

• View Profile
    • Mithril Man Web!
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »
target destinations must be spreaded to prevent camping

and about safe areas: since we want teleport area be safe areas, what radius did we want it to be

i mean something like this:

S = safe area, X = teleport location (single x;y coordinate)

S S S S S
S S S S S
S S X S S
S S S S S
S S S S S
Alternative GUI client for Huntercoin http://www.mithrilman.com
HUC donation: HMSCYGYJ5wo9FiniVU4pXWGUu8E8PSmoHE
BTC donation: 1DKLf1QKAZ5njucq37pZhMRG67qXDP3vPC